Become a Part of the Network
By joining CanDance, you’ll take your place among the nation’s leaders in the presentation and distribution of Canadian dance.
Our Services and Tools for Presenters
CanDance and all its services were created by presenters to help presenters. This ensures that they are uniquely designed to address the needs of the presenting community. Network members enjoy the following benefits:
- Annual creation and touring projects subsidized by the network ($50,000 in matching funds annually)
- Centralized Tour Facilitation/Coordination
- Free professional development and networking sessions
- Co-ordination of travel reimbursements for selected meetings
- A member’s listserv and website that circulate up to date advocacy and research information, as well as members’ news;
- Promotion of your organization nationally and internationally through the online directory
- Research and workshops on fee negotiation for artists and presenters
- Community roundtables and panels
- Archiving through a partnership with The Society for Canadian Dance Studies
- A voice in ongoing research and advocacy activities within the network
- Present professional dance on a regular or ongoing basis, including at least one touring dance production within two consecutive seasons.
- Provide other services to the local or national dance community (such as administrative services, consultation, workshops, residencies, co-production assistance or commissions).
- Show a commitment to the development and presentation of new dance works within a curatorial context.
Roles and Responsibilities of Membership
- Presenting dance must be a central activity of all members.
- Members must pay professional fees consistent with industry standards.
- Play an active role in the CanDance Network.
- Attend the annual meeting. (The CanDance Network meets at least twice a year at national dance festivals and events in alternating cities.)
- Pay an annual membership fee.
- Sign and abide by the Code of Ethics.
- $100/year membership fee for organizations or project-based presenters with dance presenting budgets smaller than $50,000/year
- $350/year for members with annual dance presenting budgets $50,000 - $500,000/year
- $650/year for members with annual dance presenting budgets larger than $500,000/year
How to Apply
In order to apply to be a member of the CanDance Network, send us an email with the following:
- An explanation of how your organization meets the three ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- A statement of willingness to meet the ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The range of fees you have paid to present professional dance artists over the past two years