PART TIME ADMINISTRATIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
Job Title: Administrator
Term: Permanent Part-Time, subject to successful completion of a six month review.
Salary: $20 hour x 16-24 hours per week, paid bi-weekly. Flexible schedule within the work week.
Office Location: Distillery District, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Due to COVID-19, all staff currently work remotely from home with some equipment support available.
Deadline to Apply: Friday, June 25, 2021
Start date: July 12, 2021
Who We Are:
CanDance is a network of 46 organizations from across Canada that focus on presenting dance. Members join CanDance to partner with other presenters to arrange tours and commission new dance pieces, learn about choreographers from other regions of the country, and promote choreographers from their community. Each member is unique in geography, audience demographics, size of venue, size of budget, and artistic mandate.
The CanDance Network was formed by a group of presenters who recognized they could accomplish more together. After 35 years of working collectively, the network’s success continues to come from a grassroots approach to developing programming. Our board is made up of member presenters, who, coupled with strong, stable staff leadership, have the expertise to translate sector-wide needs and shifts into feasible, realistic programming that supports presenters’ daily work in meaningful ways.
The network creates a supportive environment where informal peer-to-peer sharing and mentoring flourish. Collectively, the network works to improve the professional standards for presentation of all dance artists.
The Administrator works directly with the Program Manager and Executive Director to ensure the successful, timely delivery of projects and services in four main areas, listed below. The work environment is collegial and supportive. We encourage innovative ideas and creative suggestions from all employees that will enhance the quality of our programming.
- Member Communications and Relations:
- Maintain communications: circulate relevant information to members via monthly newsletters, eblasts, social media and websites
- Respond to CanDance member inquiries as they emerge
- Coordinate annual membership renewal process
- Maintain membership directory and database
- Assist with Planning and Hosting Member Events (some travel required):
- Annual general meeting (virtual)
- Annual national presenter conference (different location each year)
- Annual presenter learning trip to work with Indigenous Dance Artists (different location each year)
- Up to two regional presenter meetings per year (different locations each year)
- Administer Annual Artist Projects: The Creative Exchange & The Creation Fund:
- Communications liaison between Presenters and Artists
- Issue contracts
- Coordinate artist travel and accommodation, as needed
- Manage project cash flow
- Assemble final reports
- Ongoing Administration, Assist with Grant Writing and Reporting
Skills Wanted for this Position:
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize different administrative tasks and timelines
- Ability to communicate with members, take initiative to support them, and problem solve
- Knowledge of the following computer applications an asset, but not essential:
- Google Drive/Google Suite
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to write clear and concise grant reports and member communications
- French language writing and speaking skills are an asset, but not essential
- Enthusiasm for dance and improving access to dance performances for all Canadians
- Commitment to upholding values of anti-racism, queer-positivity, and respect for difference
- Self-motivated, dependable, enjoys working collaboratively with staff, board and membership
How to Apply: Submit your resume to Ann-Marie Williams, Program Manager, at [email protected] by 11:59 pm EDT on the deadline date. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, but please be advised that only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Equity: CanDance is continually committed to building a safer, more equitable and inclusive workplace and network that reflects our country's pluralism, and acknowledges and honours the ongoing trauma of historic systemic inequities. We strongly encourage submissions from individuals who self-identify as Indigenous, Black or a Person of Colour, as well as applicants from all gender identities, sexual orientations and abilities. Your voice and lived experience will be centred and will help make our network stronger.
For more information about The CanDance Network visit www.candance.ca
Posted By: Ann-Marie Williams, Program Manager, on behalf of the staff and board listed below.
- Mimi Beck, Executive Director
- Ann-Marie Williams, Program Manager
- Julie McLachlan, Program Manager
CanDance Board of Directors:
- President: Bernard Sauvé (General Manager, Dance Victoria, Victoria)
- Vice President: Margaret Grenier (Executive and Artistic Director, Coastal Dance Festival)
- Treasurer and Past President: Michael Toppings (Artistic and General Director Montréal, arts interculturels, Montréal)
- Michael Caldwell (Executive Producer at Fall for Dance North, Associate Artistic Director at Festival of Dance Annapolis Royal)
- Leslie McCue (Freelance curator, artist and arts administrator)
- Mimi Beck (Executive Director, CanDance Network and Dance Curator, DanceWorks, Toronto)
- Gerry Morita (Artistic Director, Mile Zero, Edmonton)
- Cathy Levy (Executive Producer, National Arts Centre, Ottawa)
- Marie-Hélène Julien (Artistic Director, La Rotonde, Québec)